What to pack for a big pickleball tournament? While some of you may be packing and getting ready to travel far others may be planning to venture to your local tournament…. Where ever your BIG pickleball tournament is here are some pointers for what to pack:
Big Pickleball Tournament Check List:
- Paddles (at least 3+) Make sure you have your name on your paddles
- Two balls (see explanation below)
- Sweat towel
- Water bottle
- A second drink with electrolytes
- Hat & sunglasses
- Sweat-proof sunscreen
- Lip protectant with SPF
- Extra pairs of socks and shoes (even foot powder)
- Extra clothing if you sweat a lot or there is a weather change
- Jacket, sweatpants
- Sandals or flip flops (let your feet rest and air out at end of play)
- Anti-inflammatory / cramping medicine (ibuprofen, mustard, Hyland’s Leg Cramps, etc.)
- Topical pain relieving creme
- Small pack of tissues (Kleenex purse pack)
- Food, snacks
- Small rolling ice chest with your goodies – save your arm for play
- Ice pack (World’s Best Ice Pack to make yourself )
- Folding chair
- Music / iPod / earplugs
- Camera (remember to capture the moments)
- Bag / tote to carry it all
- Black sharpie pen – mark your stuff and your new purchases
- Your ID for check-in
- Cash or a credit card to support the vendors
- Your game, your talent, intelligence, patience and a hefty dose of nice!
More about the list and what to pack for a big pickleball tournament:
3 or more paddles – I am a big believer that you need a few weapons. Two different paddles for the various weather (wind) elements is good. Similarly, but for a different reason (competitor style) a paddle that provides touch and one with more power may be needed. Some of you may have one paddle that does it all, so bring a few of that one. Paddles can get damaged rather easily in play—especially when you hit that winner and then meet the fence–but its worth it if you got the point! If the fence wins, your paddle may need to “rest in peace”. Also if you’re losing, why not pick up another paddle and start fresh—mentally that can be a huge boost!
Two balls – I picked two as a random number, but often when you get out on the court for whatever reason there are no balls on the court. As you only have a few minutes to warm up, and instead of waiting for the ref to provide one, use yours to get in a few more hits before the official ball arrives.
Band-Aids – Carrying the knuckle Band-Aids are now a must for me. It seems at least once a month I get hit on my right hand knuckle and it bleeds. Of course, since it is the knuckle and its always bending to grip the paddle regular band- aids don’t work all that well. If you’re a knuckle bleeder, this is good for you too.
HAVE FUN, GOOD LUCK and enjoy your big pickleball tournament!
If you have items to add to this list, please reply below…